9.29.2007

In the Mail



I wanted each card to be beautiful and I had to allow that sometimes a little off kilter is more beautiful than straight. The thin sheets of paper napkins wrinkled when I glued them, which caused the cardstock itself to buckle. I had to leave them under heavy books for days and they still didn’t flatten totally.

I made two rules for myself, 1) I had to use my own photos on the cards, and 2) I could only use materials that I already have in the house. I have so much scrapbooking stuff around here, surely there is enough to make some postcards.

It took much longer than I expected because I wanted to write on each one. I shrunk and photocopied cartoons about “fall” to go on the backsides. Addressing all the envelops took a lot of time too.

These little projects that I give myself serve a purpose because they force me to create something new out of what I have, in my head and with my own hands. It takes awhile to let it come together in a way that makes sense to me. But I like the process of evolution as it grows into a final piece. And I like sending them out into the world. I didn’t even keep one for myself. I want them to be out there for other people to have, sort of like this blog.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

They sure did turn out beautiful! you have always been so creative, and it makes me happy to see that you didn't just do it for yourself but you did it for a whole bunch of random people. You have so many wonderful qualities and I couldn't ask for a better person to be in my life. Miss you, love you!

love,
Amy

Dominique said...

Creating (whatever you create) is such a great way to get to know you better. Time spent creating is time you allow to be your true you. I felt so good while thinking about a concept, looking for ideas, gathering material, making the postcards. It's precious to know other people feel the same and when I receive a postcard, I receive a little piece of someone's true personality. Wow...

EllyJane said...

i can't wait to get mine!
yours is also in the mail!

Vanessa/NessieNoodle said...

I got mine yesterday- it is beautiful! thank you for putting the fall swap together!

Cathy said...

Thanks for all the encouragement everybody. You are so wonderful for leaving me nice comments. I agree with Dominique, we are sharing little bits of ourselves.