5.01.2007

May Day Hints

Mangoes: Now that it’s mango season, my mom asked me to write about them. The easiest way to cut a mango is to set it on the counter with the pointed end upright, cut down beside the seed on both sides. Place one half flat, flesh side up. Score through the flesh, not into the skin, in about a half inch square pattern. Now the fun part, push on the skin side until it pops up. It will be easy to cut off the squares into a bowl. If you want, cut the remainders off the seed part too.

A lovely mango salad: Mix chunks of two mangoes with half a honeydew melon, 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, and 2 tablespoons of peach jam.

Walking downhill: I asked Brad for a hint this morning and this is what he said. When walking down a steep hill, use the ball of your foot, not your heels. He told me this two years ago and I was stunned. It had never occured to me and every instinct in me said to lean back on my heels. When I tried it Brad’s way, it worked like a dream, no more slipping and sliding. Why didn’t anyone tell me this before?

No comments: