5.02.2007

Monthly Round-up

This morning I discovered Katie, The Scrapbook Lady through Ali Edwards. Last December Katie wrote about her monthly roundup. I really like the idea of introspection, looking back and reflecting on what is important in life. She also has great ideas about backing up your photo library, sharing photos with friends and family. This is good to do, whether or not you are a scrapbooker. I certainly can’t say that I am organized enough to do it every month. But possibly, every season when I look forward to what’s new and exciting in my life, I could also take a little time to look back.

What books and/or magazines did I read this month?

Amy gave me a subscription to Eating Well: Where Good Taste Meets Good Health. I have too many regular subscriptions to mention. Why do they all come on the same day? Finished Water for Elephants and The Thirteenth Tale this month.

What movies and/or tv shows did I watch this month?

Nada. Got a new Todd Snider DVD, but can’t make the DVD player work. I will watch it on my computer soon.

What special days did I celebrate and how?

Jan’s memorial was truly beautiful. Touching and special. We had a lovely party for her at Lisa and Wayne’s house. She would be very proud.

What gifts did I give and/or receive?

Friends and family were so generous with flowers at my mother-in-law’s memorial. We received many cards from our newest China friends. Amy brought us chocolate macadamia nuts, Lilikoi jelly and a photo from Hawaii. I gave Olivia a Girl Scout scrapbook for her ninth birthday.

What illnesses or health concerns did I have?

I am massively worried about Bill and Ann and all of their health problems. I wish there was a better way to help them through these difficult times. Personally, I am dealing with this stupid tooth that needs a root canal.

What fun things did I do with my friends and/or family?

Had a great party at my mom’s house with all of our new China friends. My sister, Lisa and her girls came to stay a few nights. I got to go walking with my mom’s walking club, The Solemates. Saw a dear friend from high school. Jackie Greene’s performance at Crystal Bay was exceptional.

What new foods, recipes or restaurants did I try this month?

While Brad was gone, I made carrot raisin salad, couscous salad, beets, and a Thai peanut noodle dish, that I just kept in the frig and ate little bits of whenever I was hungry instead of making meals. That worked out well, until it ran out and I didn’t want to go to the store and ate cinnamon toast for dinner one night and peanut butter crackers the next night. I made chicken parmesan (a rare occurrence) when Brad came home. And he made our favorite spinach/basil salad on Monday night.

What special or unusual purchases did I make?

Comfy Born sandals for summer. Frames for my China pictures on my bedroom wall. Todd Snider DVD and new CD too: Peace, Love, and Anarchy: Rarities, B-Sides, and Demos. (Yes, I know that I’m obsessed. You don’t have to remind me).

What were this month's disappointments?

This was a difficult month. Bill’s health is getting worse and worse. There seems to be no answers. Jan made her decision to die so suddenly, we were taken by surprise. And then it happened so quickly, we didn’t have much time to grasp it. We planned to go to Bodega Bay for a week and actually spent one night and part of a day there before being called home. I’m sorry that Brad missed out on his annual vacation. He looks forward to it so much.

What were my accomplishments this month?

Finished the China album in record time and got many wonderful compliments on it. Wrote a lovely obituary and biography of Jan’s life to be read at her service.

Anything else noteworthy to record?

  • Amy and Ty spent most of the month in Hawaii.
  • Jeremy and Dawn didn’t get their passports in time for their Cabo trip, so they went to San Diego instead.
  • Brad’s sisters, Sherrie and Vickie, are working so hard to keep this altogether.
  • The implications and complications of death and illness: Medicare, Social Security, lawyers, notaries, IRA’s, convalescence homes, doctors and hospitals, endless medical tests that turn up negative over and over. It’s too much. Human life is so very frail.

No comments: