5.17.2009

Where Are All the Cool People in Town?





The seedling sale at the Great Basin Community Food Co-op got my attention. When I arrived, I suddenly knew where all the cool people in Reno are hanging out. The guy with dreads and a reggae shirt was talking with the guy in farmer john overalls and a giant sun hat. A woman with a foreign accent was comparing notes on breastfeeding with one of the vendors. A man was explaining compost tea while a young boy enthusiastically picked out ground covers for his model train tracks. All were smiling and chatting and laughing on this gorgeous sunny Saturday morning.

Inside their new shop, housed in a bright yellow cottage, there are abundant fresh, organic fruits and veggies, bulk bins, spices. There were so many people inside that I decided to come back and pay for my membership (only $15) another day.

Back outside again, I could see Sun Ovens cooking, people riding in on their bicycles. The parking lot was filled with people loading their boxes of organic seedlings into cars with bumperstickers that said positive things like, "Nevada-People Grow Things Here" or "Coexist" or "Buy Local."

These are the kind of people I want to be around; this is the kind of place I want to hang out.

3 comments:

Vanessa/NessieNoodle said...

it's an awesome new location for them.
My mom got hubby and I a planter with organic tomato, basil, chives and cilantro- something crazy like $20. such a a deal!

Amber said...

That sounds like such an amazing day!! I love being around inspiring people like that. I am new at this blogging community, but I find it so inspiring as well and I love these glimpses into others days and lives. Thank you for yours!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a mini version of Sebastopol ;)... wonderful

Amy