5.26.2009

Quick Hint Tuesday


Beets!!--slice beets paper thin (use a mandolin if you have one {thanks, Amy}), put in a jar with 2 bay leaves, 1/2 teaspoon of peppercorns, and a split Thai chili if you like it spicy. Heat 1 cup of rice vinegar with 1/4 sugar to a boil and pour over the beets. Cool. They will last a month in the fridge. I found this in Martha Stewart Living (I think). I used golden beets because the don't run.

Melatonin--The pharmacist told us to use melatonin to help us sleep. If I toss and turn for two nights, I take 1mg around 8PM on the third night. Works like a charm. It's a completely natural human hormone, so it can't hurt you. It worked for Brad too.

Compost in a garbage can--I bought a big black garbage can, drilled 10 holes in the bottom, got a bungee cord to hold the lid on tight. Filled it with leaves, a bag of aged manure, kitchen scraps, and a few shakes of Dr. Earth Compost Starter. Every other day or so, I add the new scraps, and roll it around on the ground. I am astonished at how fast it has turned into beautiful, black soil. I might have to start another one.

2 comments:

georgia b. said...

i've always heard good things about melatonin. luckily i have not reached the point of needing it yet.

but i should recommend it to my mother. she has had a difficult time sleeping for years!

great tips! thanks.

Tiffany said...

I love the compost trash can idea...I have a compost pile, but I realized that it's too close to the driveway and come winter, the plow truck would be plowing it into my backyard. This would be a great alternative!

Thanks!
Tiff