7.26.2007

The deepest secret is that life is not a process of discovery, but a process of creation. You are not discovering yourself, but creating yourself anew. Seek, therefore, not to find out Who You Are, seek to determine Who You Want to Be.

-Neale Donald Walsch

Reading Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert for over two months, I’d find myself avoiding it for days on end. Maybe I was just not in the mood for reading, but more likely I was not feeling it. The problem seems to be her problems. While I understand being depressed after a divorce and the end of a passionate romance, she kept running and thinking and running and thinking. Over–ruminating.

My personal approach would have been so different. She was seeking answers from God, which is a worthy endeavor, but I hated how she had to struggle and fight and force herself to go through hell just for a small glimmer of hope. I would have actively pursued a new life, a new outlook, and as much joy as I could find. I would have stayed in Italy!

Ali Edwards has a new book coming out called Life Artist. Which means to me, enthusiastically taking charge of your life to live in the most creative ways you can. Searching out joy and beauty, like my header says. Doing what you can to make your life better, take care of yourself, filling your time with activities that make you happy. Not endlessly stewing about things in the past that you can’t change. Find ways to make the world a better place and yourself a better person. Vigorously creating YOU. I am so anxious to read what she has to say on the subject.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now I realize why I find you so interesting. You constantly amaze me with your ability to see wonder.

Love your blog!


Marly

Anonymous said...

I think your comment about stewing about things you can't change would apply to when you told me to stop obsessing when we were on the train in England. I stopped obsessing and that allowed me to see the funny side of the situation.

Love Mom