11.28.2006

Tuesday Quick Hints

On Tuesdays I want to list a few easy things that I’ve learned recently. I promise not to put them up here unless I’ve really done them myself.

Pomegranates: Cut off the blossom end, score the skin from end to end in about six even segments. In a large bowl of cold water, submerge the fruit totally and tear apart. You’ll be surprised how easy it comes apart. Take off the white pith and then strain it. You’ll have a pile of little gems, so much better than picking them out one by one, squirting juice everywhere. A good salad idea: Spinach with pomegranates, walnuts, feta cheese and a simple vinaigrette.

Stamps and boxes: I buy stamps online directly from the post office. http://www.usps.com/They charge $1 shipping, but it’s well worth it if I don’t have to stand in line for 40 minutes. My mom also gets priority mail boxes online. You can order up to 20 of them. They are free and there is no shipping charge. Very handy to have around.

Mir-Acid: When I water my orchids, I add a few granules of Mir-Acid (made by the same company as Miracle Grow). Don’t use too much. It’s not an exact science, I just guess. I have been doing it to my basil plant that I got at Trader Joe’s in August and it’s thriving. It still has not flowered yet.

Clementines: I adore these little packages of joy in winter. They're also called mandarins. When you peel one, close your eyes, put it up to your nose, and take several deep breathes all the way down to the bottom of your lungs. You’ll feel better.

No comments: