6.05.2011

Proper British Scones


Finally found a simple recipe for a true scone. They are easy to make from things you already have in your pantry right now. I added some raisins (because I don't have currants in my pantry). Five minutes of assembly, mixing, a little knead, and pop them in the oven for 13 minutes. Start the kettle. Delicious straight from the oven in less than twenty minutes total.


I wanted to make scones because I had some Rhubarb, Strawberry and Ginger Jam that I made last week to try. I found this recipe in The Cook and the Gardener by Amanda Hesser.  The rhubarb in the garden is finally grown enough to cut small amounts from occasionally. I added a few strawberries because they were shriveling on my counter, which just concentrates the sugars and flavor intensity. I cooked it too long, but Brad rescued it by adding a little hot water and stirring it until it loosened up.

Rhubarb-Ginger Preserves

2 cups of rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch lengths
1 T candied ginger, chopped
Juice of 1/2 orange
1 1/2 cups sugar

1. Place the rhubarb in a pot twice its size, add the ginger, 
orange juice and sugar and let macerate overnight.

2. The next day, slowly bring the fruit and sugar to a boil,
 stirring often.

 Simmer over medium heat, until it reaches 220 degrees. 
Skim the surface while it simmers. 

Sterilize a jar and lid. Pour jam into jar while it is hot. 

Keep in the fridge and use within a week 
OR can properly in a water bath for long term storage.





One of my newest obsessions is listening to podcasts while I walk. Seems to keep my mind occupied while I go 'round. Lynn Rosetto Kasper is the QUEEN of cooking, so warm, entertaining and delicious. Give it a try:

Splendid Table


Also, I picked up the latest copy of Country Living from Borders and I've been spending time curling up with these beauties:





All of this started because I've been cruising around the blogosphere searching for British blogs. These were some that have that feeling of real everyday life in England. Maybe I am just missing it because I was there last year at this time. Or possibly the rain this morning makes me dreamy. Mix up some scones, steep a cup of tea and soak up the atmosphere:




2 comments:

Georgie said...

Ali and I want to know where the scone recipe is?

Cathy said...

Simple--just click on the blue-ish line that says "Accomplished Young Lady -- Proper British Scones." It will take you right to the website with the recipe.