10.31.2010

Settling into Autumn


My next-door-neighbors use wood to heat their house. Every time that I go out the door I get the heady fragrance of woodsmoke, making me feel autumn all through my soul. I'm ready.

Here are a few things that have made me feel like fall in the past days:

*spicy apple cider and black tea--heat in the microwave or on the stove for a minute until it makes the house smell delicious, then sip quietly.

*Orange-Cinnamon Bath Salts--mix equal amounts of baking soda, epsom salts and/or sea salt. Add freshly zested orange rind, cinnamon sticks, grated nutmeg, cloves. Stir well. Store next to the bathtub. Add generously to a warm bath.


*getting into a big fat novel (Freedom by Jonathan Franzen)

*putting the garden to bed, raking leaves, adding to the compost pile.

*moved the lemon tree inside and suddenly every lemon turns brilliant yellow. What should I make? Lemon tarts, anybody?


*buried 90 Ice Follies daffodil bulbs in the little flower island in the backyard. Looking forward to their smiles in spring.

*baked Susan Branch's gingerbread cake with lemon sauce. You MUST taste the lemon sauce!


*roasting tomatoes--brought about 15 lbs of green tomatoes into the house. As they ripen, I slow oven roast them with olive oil, brown sugar, salt, garlic and/or herbs. Pop in the oven at 250 degrees for about 2 hours.

Thinking about:
*pumpkin soup
*baking cranberry bread
*Brussels sprouts
*planting garlic
....and how to seat and feed 12 people for Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

SierraSnowSoaps said...

Me, me! I love lemon anything!
How was the lookout camping trip? I think that is just the coolest idea, maybe someday we will try it, before we get too old.
Michelle in NV