7.13.2009

Bread Bakin' Fool



This very lazy cook has found the key to happiness: real homemade crusty delicious bread! In my new obsession with Mother Earth News (reading every article in all the back issues), I located a story about Easy, No Knead Bread written by the authors of Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day, scientist Jeff Hertzberg and CIA chef Zoe Francois.



I figured I'd give it a whirl. I did buy the bread flour because it makes a thicker bread, which I prefer. I found out that an old glass mixing bowl works perfectly fine on my KitchenAid, if you kept your hand on it. So I can mix the dough and let it rise and keep it in the frig all in the same bowl and they don't even recommend washing it between uses either!

The secret is letting it rise for 40 minutes before cooking it in a very hot oven with a steaming tray of water. The whole house smells wonderfully yeasty. We were astonished at how perfect it came out. All for about 50 cents a loaf.

I have ordered the book from the library and have dreams of herb breads, pizza doughs, and cinnamon rolls dancing in my head.

3 comments:

Georgie said...

Wow Cathy, the bread looks fantastic. When I saw the first photo's, I thought ~ someone else must have been baking. I know Brad doesn't bake. I am so impressed.

SierraSnowSoaps said...

Cathy, this looks like the bread a soaper in AU makes, it is a 5 min making bread and I could even make it, it is yummy. She has a nice blog, she is a world traveler like you and your mom, she is in bali now, check it out. bread is halfway down the page.

http://www.patti-flynn.com/blog/page/3/

Michelle in NV

Cathy said...

Michelle~

I can't thank you enough for sending this link. I could not figure out how to transfer the dough onto the hot pizza stone, until I read that she uses parchment paper--brilliant!