3.30.2009

Camp Food


Yes, we are camping again. I thought I'd talk about some of the things we like to eat when we are camping. The criteria is that they must be easy to cook and easy to clean up too.

First, Brad pre-makes a few meals. These can be things like lasagna or enchiladas that can be cooked in the solar oven. He put them in disposable pans, so the mess was all in our home kitchen, where the dishwasher is.

I tend to make the dessert items. This time I baked a batch of homemade oatmeal/raisin cookies. I also pre-made the crumble for the Cherry Crumble recipe and put it in a ziplock bag. I will layer it later and pop it in the solar oven too.

Sometimes we make dishes like a pasta salad or a Mexican corn salad. It's wonderful to just spoon it right out when you want something delicious to eat.

At Trader Joe's I bought a package of sliced salami and cheeses, a little container of marinated mozzarella, and another one with mixed olives. Along with a baguette and some fresh tomatoes, this will make a delicious antipasto for cocktail hour.

Other than that, we BBQ a lot. Eat cereal and fresh fruit for breakfast, sandwiches or quesidillas for lunch. We clear out our frig and bring almost everything with us. No point in having it rot while we're gone.

2 comments:

SierraSnowSoaps said...

Keely has to make oatmeal raisin cookies for the mechanic who fixed her car. If you use bulk oatmeal there is no recipe. Where did you get yours?
Michelle in NV

Cathy said...

Hi Michelle~

I use the Mrs. Field's recipe, Oatmeal Chews, because it uses honey and they really do remain soft. Unfortunately, I am still camping, so I don't have the recipe with me. Do an internet search and see if you can find it.

cheers!
Cathy