5.01.2008

May Day

We have a largish island in the middle of the backyard that needs serious help. It is going to be the focus of my summer plans. First I will hire someone else to clear it out, build it up, and fix the irrigation system. Then I get to plant!

Choosing the plants is much harder than you might think. There are so many factors to consider. First and foremost, they must be extremely hardy; temperatures here are very cold with minimal snow coverage which leaves them exposed most of the winter. Next, they must be drought tolerant; we live in a desert with a metered water system. They must be bunny-proof; I love our wild bunnies and I don't want to be resentful of them eating my garden up. I'm mostly into blues, purples, pinks, and white. I stay away from reds, oranges, and yellows. I would also like flowers that attract hummingbirds and butterflies, and are long blooming. Am I asking too much?



Actually there are many plants that meet these criteria:
Allium
Lavendar
Achillea
Penstemon
Echinacea (coneflower)
Agastache
Diantus
Baptisia
Salvia
Artemisia
Mirabilis (wild four o'clock)
Nepeta

1 comment:

SierraSnowSoaps said...

Cathy,
Another nice flower that my mom planted without telling me (I was pulling up plants for weeks thinking they were weeds until she asked me if the flowers seeds she had thrown out had come up)is the Moonflower. It is a white trumpet looking flower about 3 in. long that opens up at night and is fragrant. I often forget to water it and it still does great here in Gardnerville. Have a great time planting.
Michelle